Avalon Soccer Club welcomes today’s news from the NSW Government that all local competitions can resume from July 1st.
The confirmation that our Seniors can resume play at the same time as our Juniors allows the club to move forward with a greater degree of certainty for the coming season.
The MWFA have released the following information:
- Northern Beaches and Mosman Councils are finalising the date for the end of the season, based on the date they officially hand over fields from winter sport to summer sport. We are expecting final confirmation in the very near future that it will the October long weekend, 6 weeks later than usual.
- The draw will have no wash out/spare weekends. Simply a match every weekend from the start to the finish.
- The regular season will be scheduled through to the second last available date (September 25/26/27), at which time a team will be crowned “Major Premiers”. Instead of semi finals and grand finals, the final game of the season will see 1v2, 3v4, 5v6 etc so as many teams/people as possible play as many games as possible and the team that wins the 1v2 match in each division will be crowned “Knockout winners”
- With limited travel expected during the July school holidays, the draw will have midweek rounds during the July school holidays.
- For juniors they will play both weeks (Boys on Tuesday and Girls on Thursday) with games played during the day
- For seniors they will play a match on either the first week or the second week of the July holidays (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday). These games will be played at night.
- We will schedule another midweek round in the first week of the September/October school holidays for the juniors and sub juniors
- Borrowing Rules have been altered/relaxed to make sure all teams can field players. The clear intention is to provide as many opportunities for players and teams to play matches and be flexible enough to ensure all teams can borrow players to make up numbers if required.
For the avoidance of doubt the existing Return to Training guidelines around social distancing and numbers at training remain in place until July 1 at the earliest. Please ensure you comply with these guidelines. There will also be additional guidelines in place for matchdays.
We will work with the MWFA on the fixturing and further information for our managers in the coming days, along with a plan to reopen the club shop now we have certainty over a start date.
We look forward to seeing you down The Bay!